Skip to main content

Sour and Spicy

There were several tastes that I have just tasted with the iftar today. First, the sweet taste of seeing the smile of my 3 years old son on the bus to my wife's workplace.   Second, the bitter taste of watching the news about war in Syria. Lastly, the delicious sour and spicy tastes of asampadeh dagiang I made it this afternoon for iftar. These three tastes were not related, yet all three merged in me, created state of the art feelings. I feel sorry for the humanity that have lost its humanism, I did not care for other matters because of a good meal I just have had, and I feel optimist that the world will be a better place in the future. These three feelings are what make a man a man.

The insight that one's live span is not limited to one's life-time can articulate the difference between man with other animals. Human civilization, modern or indigenous are developed through cumulative knowledge. Humanity is not limited to one person's achievement only, yet developed through inter-connectivity among humans. In other word, humanity as was yesterday, as is today, ad as will, tomorrow is not limited to any man's life time. Happiness in my son's face reminded me that my life is not just limited to my life only. Many things that I did, do and will do will have an effect to others around me. I have a stake to the future of my kids, the future of my descendants, their offspring and the future of the world, no matter how not important I am. This are just as how my life today, also connected to the life of others before me. 

Oftentimes we forget about this connections while enjoying the amenities of life; good food, jokes, achievement,  sex, etc. We forget that all those good feelings connected with other things related to our nature as living objects. Good food for example, are things that related to our tendency to survive. The tendency to live not just today, but also tomorrow. The reason that sweet and fatty and tasty food is that are materials that provide more energy. To survive, our primordial instinct stimulates the apatite to like these foods. Another example, the joy of sex is not merely just for the joy of the activity, but to ensure the genetic survival. 

The smile on my son's face reminded me who was enjoying the good food, that there are more layers of life that one that is visible. Enjoying the food is not the only thing that happen at that time. While I enjoyed the food, I also added more possibility to survive, that also mean I added chances to leave traits of my existence in humanity, civilization, world, even universe (no matter how small the effect is). It does not limited to me only. Regardless of the size, everyone have their proportion to affect the others, humanity, world and universe.

This awareness are often forgotten. Oftentimes, this ignorance have no significant effects. Yet, at some circumstances, some-body's activity bring tremendous effects to other. A position a leader take for example, can bring happiness to the subordinates, or misery. The intensity of the effects depends on the position and situation a person have. Hatred in Hitler's heart have no significant effect when he was still a private, but as he became the leader of Germany, it brought catastrophe to the world. Thus, this awareness should grow in line with one's position socially. 

How sad it is to see the war still happen today. There are thousands of years of experiences we have with war. All of them brought the sad stories of destruction and sufferings. I do not believe that any of leaders of conflicting groups have never heard about these sad stories of war. More over, contemporary knowledge have also taught that none of the wars can solve conflicts. Every modern wars ended in negotiations. Yet, the sufferings of the innocent, the mutilated future of a generation, the destruction of years of hard works are imminent. How can any body still consider that war is a solution.

Comments

Febi said…
da pitoo...^^
so well, which one do you choose to taste? :)
bity
sour
sweet
spicy
:D
Yazid K. Harson said…
halo cici.. We can choose what to eat, but we cannot choose a taste.. They are all there for some reasons..

Popular posts from this blog

Reconciliation

Last August 11 is my 6th anniversary. Congratulation to me! Yet, sadly this is the second consecutive year I cannot celebrate it properly. This year just as last year, I was separated by distance from my wife, and I cannot pass it. Thus, besides bringing grateful feeling of the six years of blessings as man and wife, with two light of Kiran and  Sadeq in my little heaven, this anniversary also makes me blue. This year August 11 falls at Saturday. Here in Syracuse, NY it delays 11 hours after one in Indonesia. Under my unintended ignorance, I that was waiting to say "happy anniversary" to my wife forgot that it was already 11 in Indonesia. So, I had to said that after she reminded me. It was annoying. I was waiting for it, and this earth spinning mechanism tricked me. Today, I was also tricked by the time. After early breakfast at 4.00 AM in the morning, I fall asleep just after 4.40 AM. I woke up around 8.50 AM. As I have class at 9.00 AM, with an exceptional hurry,

Diujung Musim Gugur

Darah mengental di nadi, aorta menggelora, jantung terus saja memompa. Butiran-butiran keringat berlompatan dari pori, berhamburan, bercerabutan disela ramang. Tenggorok digorok parau, gurau kacau terjebak payau galau, ceracau di thorax dicekam diafragma Nadi menegang, vena membelintang, arteri menari dalam marche funebre , bukan Marionete atau Chopin, tapi Beethoven dalam trans. kau usap mukaku, kau usap mataku, kau usap wajahku, kau balut mukaku, ku pagut cintaku, kau hilang. Pilu.. Hanya bayang.. Hanya bayang.. HHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIII............................ Siapa menanam durja, Kenapa merajam cinta? Fana hanya kita kakanda, mungkin tak kala untuk kau senja, bisa saja hilang kau dalam sehasta, terra incognita di mana-mana, marre incognitum penuh nujum, kembara kenapa? apa yang kau cari cinta? Semesta hening memekak otak, mayapada ternganga menggelitik pelik, gagu didasar kalbu. Dulu ragu dan mas que nada ku lagu, night train berucap untukku. Saat itu g

Prudent Policy

They bear, in place of classic names, Letters and numbers on their skin. They play their grisly blindfold games In little boxes made of tin. Sometimes they stalk the Zeppelin, Sometimes they learn where mines are laid, Or where the Baltic ice is thin. That is the custom of (1st stanza of "The Trade", by Rudyard Kipling) Merchants always try to find ways of gain. They are as curious as a researcher, and also as sharp as a sniper. Opportunity is their focus of curiosity, and profit is their target. Their free attitude as well as pride confident are no public secret. Their activities are the heart beat of economy as well as society. Economic development is dependent to the trade unquestionably. Thus, if any body want to develop economy, they must develop trade. This state is also applicable to government in their effort to develop national economy. Developing trade cannot be done directly by the government. The independence of trade as well as their massive scope is